The human brain and spinal cord constitute to form the central nervous system of the human body. All the messages or commands that are sent from in the form of nerve impulses are passed through a pathway that is the spinal cord. This information was just to tell what weightage does a spinal cord carry in a human body. You should not perform any task that puts your spinal cord at risk. It is the most vital and the most sensitive part of the human body. Imagine what if the spinal cord gets injured. The first thing that is a result of the spinal cord injury is paralysis, the most obvious result because the spinal cord is responsible for transferring messages from the brain to the body and back from the body to the brain.
People who suffer from spinal cord injury (SCI) not only need care initially but they need to be in an environment in which they are under constant vigilance and a wheelchair environment. Moreover, they require rehabilitation and appropriate homecare & strong financial support. It is hard to make an environment at home; hence, there is The Spine and Rehab Group.
What are the tests that are done for the check-up for SCI?
- X-rays are a special kind of light that is a form of visible light that is used for producing an image of the body structure as this is a strong form of light that passes through most objects to generate images of bones and tissues inside the body.
- If any abnormality is observed on the X-ray scans then a CT scan is performed. CT scan is a Computerized tomography scan that is done to observe the sections of the X-rayed body part.
- You might have heard about MRI scans. MRI scans stand for Magnetic Resonance Imaging scans that are developed by the way of computer-generated images. This test is very helpful in the cases of a blood clot or masses that might be troubling the sensitive spinal cord.
What are the ways to treat or give first aid to a person with SPI?
- Doctors in OT ensure that the patient’s ability to breathe does not get stopped.
- The most important thing that should be prevented is, preventing the patient from going into a shock.
- If the spinal cord is already damaged then moving it any further will increase the chances of possible spinal cord damage, so prevent any more movements.
And much more technical things that are needed to be taken care of.
After receiving the medical services the person will require to take rehabilitation services. This rehabilitation team consists of a professionally trained physician, a social worker, and a rehabilitation nurse with The Spine and Rehab Group. This team takes care of the patient while the patient is going through the recovery phase. These physicists also are aware of many other techniques that will not cause any additional injury to the spinal cord. These exercises will become part of your day and it is not bad to do some exercise for some time in the day.